MURIEL'S JACKSON SQUARE

801 Chartres Street, New Orleans, LA

(504) 568-1885

Status: Former Residence, Heritage Property; Operational Restaurant

Website

HAVE YOU HAD A PARANORMAL EXPERIENCE AT THIS LOCATION?

Please Share Your Experiences
Name Your Experiences @ Muriel's Jackson Square Submit



History

In 1718 a French Canadian – Claude Trepagnier – was a member of the expedition party that carved the first clearing on the side of the river that was named Ville de la Nouvelle Orleans. In reward for his work, he was given a parcel of land where he constructed a brick house.

This was the first structure built on the land now occupied by the restaurant.

In the mid-18th century, the Royal Treasurer of the French Louisiana Colonies bought the property. He tore down the small house and built a mansion more suitable to his wealth and status.

In the mid-19th century, the home was owned by the Poydras Family – for which Poydras Street is named – and was central to society during the glory days of New Orleans.

After the Civil War the economy of the former Confederate States collapsed leaving New Orleans and other Southern cities in a bad way. The entire French Quarter began to decay and was one of the least desirable places to live in the city – this property suffered terribly from this neglect.

By the end of the 19th century the building was bought and renovated back to a usable state. Many commercial businesses thrived here into the 20th century.

From 1916 at least part of the building has been used as a restaurant.

In 2000 the building was sold and underwent a massive renovation and restoration bringing it back to its glory days in the 1700’s. On March 10, 2001 Muriel’s opened bringing the building, once again, back to its social status in New Orleans.

 

Paranormal Activity

No city embraces their ghosts like New Orleans – except maybe Savannah, GA – and this restaurant is no exception. They have even named rooms on the second floor their Séance Rooms.

Not all of the otherworldly residents have been identified but there is no doubt its haunted.

One of the identified spirits is that of Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan who built his family’s dream home here after the Great New Orleans Fire in 1788. Mr. Jourdan had an issue with gambling and in 1814 he put his home up in a poker game; and lost.

He was so heartbroken over the loss of his dream home he tragically committed suicide on the second floor. As mentioned above the restaurant calls the second floor the Séance Rooms. This is because Mr. Jourdan never left our earthly plane and still spends most of his time on the second floor.

He does not appear as the apparition of the man he once was but rather as a glimmer of sparkly light who wanders the lounges. He is thought to be responsible for the objects that move on their own throughout the restaurant.

In the Courtyard Bar glasses have been thrown 12 feet – three times since the restaurant opened – from the bar to a brick wall where they shatter.

Ghosts are also believed to reside in the former carriageway where slaves may have held prior to auction.

Shadow figures have been seen throughout the building. The ghosts have seemed to communicate with the living by knocking on a brick wall in the Séance Rooms. The voice of a female was recorded in a room where no living female was present.

At worst some of the spirits may be troubled but no one has ever felt a threatening ghost or energy in the restaurant.