(McRaven Tour Home)

1445 Harrison Street, Vicksburg, MS

(601) 501-1336

Status: Former Residence; Former Field Hospital; Heritage Building


Ghost Tours Available


Please Share Your Experiences
Name Your Experiences @ McRaven House Submit

By <a href="//;action=edit&amp;redlink=1" class="new" title="User:Zamburak (page does not exist)">Zamburak</a> - <span class="int-own-work" lang="en">Own work</span>, CC BY-SA 4.0Link


In 1797 Andrew Glass built part of what would become McRaven House; this is before Mississippi was a State. At the time the structure functioned as a way station for pioneers on their way up the Natchez Trace to Nashville, Tennessee.

Glass was a known highwayman who robbed people on the Natchez Trace.

This part of the house is now known as the ‘Pioneer Section’.

In 1836 Sheriff Stephen Howard bought the house and added the middle dining room and the bedroom above it. His wife, Mary Elizabeth, died in childbirth the middle bedroom in August of that same year.

In 1849 John H Bobb bought the house and finished it’s construction in the Greek Revival style. In 1863 the house was used as a Confederate field hospital during the siege of Vicksburg. It’s proximity to the battle and the railroad led to it being hit by cannon fire from both the Union and Confederate forces.

On May 18, 1864 – with Vicksburg in Union hands – Bobb noticed drunk Union soldiers picking his flowers. He yelled at them and then threw a brick knocking down a sergeant. After complaining to the Federal Commander of Vicksburg – who said he’d punish the soldiers responsible – Bob returned home to find 25 Union soldiers at his house. They took him to a nearby bayou and shot him in the face and back.

John’s widow, Selina, sold the house shortly afterwards.

In 1882 William and Ellen Murray bought the house and raised a family there. Both of them died in the house as did one of their daughters and their son. The remaining 2 daughters lived in the house with little to no contact with the outside world.

When the house was sold in 1960 it could no longer even be seen from the street due to the overgrowth. The upper story had vines growing through it and the sisters had destroyed most of the unique furniture to burn as firewood.

From 1961 to 1984 the house was open for historical tours while massive renovations were being done. It then changed hands again as Leyland French bought it. He did further renovations but closed the house to the public.

In 2015 Steven and Kendra Reed bought the house and reopened it to the public for historical and ghost tours. Both tours or a paranormal investigation can be booked at the website link or by calling the phone number; both of which are above.


Paranormal Activity

This house is known as the most haunted house in Mississippi and is said to be the third most haunted house in all of the United States.

There are 3 famous ghosts haunting this property.

Andrew Glass: the builder of the first structure on the property was a notorious highway who robbed people on the Natchez Trace and brought his stolen property back to the house. His ghost is still active in one of the rooms he built that hasn’t been changed much in over 200 years.

Mary Elizabeth Howard: she died at the young age of 15 in childbirth in the house. Her apparition is seen in the house.

John Bobb: who was murdered by Union soldiers. His apparition still walks the balcony of the house he completed.

Other Reported Activity: shadow figures; objects moving on their own; touches, tugs and pulls by unseen entities; disembodied voices and whispers; unexplained sounds; doors opening and closing on their own; lights turning on and off on their own; phantom footsteps; light anomalies and feelings of being watched and not being alone.