(Allen’s Brick House)(Arthur Allen House)

465 Bacons Castle Trail, Surry, VA

(757) 357-5976

Status: Former Residence, Former Fortification, Historical House Museum

Ghost Tours

Paranormal Investigations Available Seasonally


Please Share Your Experiences
Name Your Experiences Submit

/wiki/User_talk:Yellowute" class="extiw" title="en:User talk:Yellowute">talk</a>) (<a href="" class="extiw" title="en:Special:ListFiles/Yellowute">Uploads</a>) - <span class="int-own-work" lang="en">Own work</span>, Public Domain, Link


Built in 1665 this house is the oldest documented brick building in the United States. It is also one of the very few examples of Jacobean architecture in North America.

The house was built shortly after the Royal Colony of Virginia was divided into Counties by Arthur Allen as a residence for himself and his wife, Alice. Upon his death the house passed to his son Major Arthur Allen II who served on the Virginia House of Burgesses – the elected assembly who governed the colony.

In 1676 this house was seized and fortified by the followers of Nathaniel Bacon – Bacon never resided in the home and probably never stepped inside – thus gaining its name of Bacon’s Castle. The house became of the headquarters of the failed Bacon Rebellion – an insurgency against the lawful Royal Governor of the Virginia – and a prelude to the American Revolution.

After the failed rebellion the Virginia newspapers started to refer to the house as Bacon’s Castle thus gaining the house its nickname.

The house remained a family residence through the next 300 years taking no significant historical part in either the American Revolution or the Civil War.

It was owned by the Hankins family during the Civil War but the emancipation of the slaves after the Confederate loss crippled the plantation’s workforce resulting in the family having to sell it. It was bought by the Warren family and passed down until 1973 when the  owners perished in car accident with no heirs.

The house, out buildings and the remaining 40 acres passed to the Preservation Virginia who converted the property into a non-profit house museum. In 2015 they acquired enough of the surrounding land to guarantee the area can never be converted by residential or commercial development.


Paranormal Activity

This location is arguably the most haunted property in the State.

Most of the paranormal activity is thought to be directly related to the slaves who once lived here and became the forced labor that kept the plantation afloat.

Phantom balls of fire have been seen forming and flying across the property.

The apparitions of floating heads are frequently seen.

Unexplained noises of guns being shot.

Ghosts have spoken both on video and audio recordings. They also frequently show up in photos taken on the property.

Disembodied voices have been heard as well as other unexplained noises from loud bangs to screams to whispers.

Other Activity: cold spots; unexplained mists; light anomalies; electrical disturbances; phantom footsteps; touches by unseen presences and feelings of not being alone, being followed and being watched.