Esta página web utiliza "cookies" para garantizar que disfrutas de la mejor experiencia posible al visitar la página. Consulta nuestra política de privacidad para obtener más información al respecto. Para aceptar el uso de las "cookies" no esenciales, haz clic en "Estoy de acuerdo"
(Lier Hospital)(Lier Asylum)
class="new" title="User:Sodafy (page does not
exist)">Sodafy</a> – <span class="int-own-work"
lang="nb">Eget verk</span>, CC BY-SA 4.0, Lenke
Av <a href="//commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Gulosten&action=edit&redlink=1" class="new" title="User:Gulosten (page does not exist)">Gulosten</a> – <span class="int-own-work" lang="nb">Eget verk</span>, CC0, Lenke
In the late 19th century people with mental health issues were moved to the farms here. The area became known as the Lier Colonies and soon there were several hundred patients living here and working on the farms.
In 1921 construction began on the Lier Asylum which was completed in 1926. The site was first composed of six buildings with room for 600 patients. The timing couldn’t have been better for the surrounding community which was suffering from high unemployment. Many jobs were created both in construction and in staffing the hospital afterwards.
In the beginning the patients were treated through work on the farm and in food production. In 1937, though, the founder of the asylum died and the treatment plan was changed to a more medical focus using drugs for treatment.
By the 1940’s and 50’s the treatment methods had become what would be considered questionable to unethical today. Psychotropic drugs such as LSD were used as well as other drugs that kept the patients asleep for as long as 3 weeks at a time. Lobotomies were also used – in large numbers – to “cure” the mentally ill.
Eventually it is said new drugs that were unable to be used on the general population – or even in human trials – were used on the patients essentially using them as guinea pigs. In 1959 the name was changed to Lier Hospital in attempt to stop the stigmatization of people living there and the drug trials were ended.
Although the illicit drug trails had stopped – and lobotomies fell out of favor as a treatment – the general care of the patients worsened for the latter half of the 20th century. In 1983 a book was published by a former nursing assistant who had worked at the hospital. The book detailed the treatment of the patients including stories of overuse of restraints, patients being left in tattered clothing and left in lying in their own urine and feces.
The repercussions of the book resulted in a lot of anger and – related or not – in 1985 four of the thirteen buildings were closed quoting less need for beds as the reason. In 2013 the entire hospital complex closed for good – although the last patients didn’t transfer off site until 2017.
In 2015 the site was sold to a development company to build residential housing. All of the buildings except for 2 – that were designated historically significant – have been demolished now. The 2 historical buildings are being converted into apartments.
From 1985 until the early 21st century many of the older buildings were abandoned and slowly deteriorating. During that time many people went into the buildings to take photos, do some urban exploring or for a paranormal investigation.
Overall, the site is described as having a heavy and negative energy hanging over it.
Apparitions of former patients and staff and shadow figures seen both in the buildings and on the grounds; disembodied voices; unexplained noises including screams, crying and loud bangs; cold spots; touches, tugs and pulls from unseen presences; light anomalies; electrical disturbances; mysterious mists and feelings of sadness, anger, fear, not being alone, being watched and not being wanted.