Esta página web utiliza "cookies" para garantizar que disfrutas de la mejor experiencia posible al visitar la página. Consulta nuestra política de privacidad para obtener más información al respecto. Para aceptar el uso de las "cookies" no esenciales, haz clic en "Estoy de acuerdo"
423 Central Avenue NW
Status: Historical Theater
Opened in the September of 1927 this theater was built by the Bachechi family; Italian-Americans who wanted to give something back to their adopted Country.
The architecture is based on Aztec, Navajo and Pueblo designs. A contest was held to pick the name of the theater in keeping with it’s design. From over 500 entries Kimo was picked meaning ‘mountain lion’ in Pueblo.
In 1935 the theater was combined with Sunshine Theaters putting almost all of Albuquerque’s theaters under one company. They were then leased to a Texas theater company who was bought by Commonwealth Theaters in 1967. Commonwealth closed the Kimo in 1970.
When it opened again, shortly afterwards, it was showing adult films.
By 1977 it had suffered a fire and was in terrible shape. The city offered to buy it r have it condemned and demolished. The family sold it to the city.
In 2000 the city completely refurbished the theater including creating a 650 seat auditorium. In 2011 the city commissioned a replica of the origin neon sign that was above the doors when it opened in 1927.
In 1951 a 6 year old boy, Bobby Darnall, was killed when a boiler in the basement exploded and took out part of the lobby. Unfortunately, Bobby arrived in the lobby just in time to be killed in the explosion; 7 other people were injured.
See photo above for the location of the boiler.
Legend says if the performers do not leave some sort of gift backstage for Bobby little things will go wrong with the show rather like an April Fool’s joke or prank; ie flickering lights or missing items.
There is a story that Bobby disrupted a showing of a Christmas Carol in 1974 – it was actually in 1986 – but none of the performers putting on that show remember anything abnormal happening.
Either way its become a theater tradition to leave something for Bobby before hitting the stage.
The apparition of Bobby in jeans and a striped shirt – his clothes when he was killed – is also seen occasionally in the theater.
Another ghost, that of a lady in a bonnet, is also seen in the theater. No has identified her as of yet.
East Atoka Road
Status: Former School; Urban Legend
There is very little information about this school. It is unclear when it even built or opened – not in 1949 as that’s an Atoka School in Oklahoma.
There are rumors that it closed very suddenly for an unknown reason but that cannot be verified historically.
People have reported hearing crying and screaming coming from the former school. There is said to be a dark energy surrounding the building that becomes very apparent for anyone going near or entering the school.
Disembodied voices, growls and threats have been heard in what some people report as demonic voices.
The apparition of a nurse has been seen in the gym.
Witnesses report a feeling of being watched, never being alone and not being wanted here.
For sake of transparency, it needs to be stated that many people believe the school is not haunted and these stories are either teenagers caring each other or made up in hopes of gaining the attention of one of the multitudes of paranormal TV shows and bring money to the town.
Testimonial By Quin1s
I live in artesia. Go there quite often. Without a large group you do start to feel like you’re being watched sometimes. One time our car door was open heading back to it. Though, the whole group was with us
Philmont Scout Ranch
Status: Geographical Site; Sacred Site; Rural Legend
By Kbh3rd - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5730733
Supernatural and spiritual stories and legends in this area date to prehistory. Many believe it to contains a gateway to the underworld.
Which has been twisted to mean a Gateway to Hell in modern times.
The flat mesa does contain large amounts of lodestone – highly magnetic - which will play havoc with everyone’s compass who comes too close making it very easy to get disorientated and lost.
There is also the shape of a skull – which is even visible on topographical maps – at it’s topmost area making it somewhat unnerving at the very least.
Its also the point most hit by lightning in the entire State making it dangerous, if not downright lethal, during a storm.
The people who repeatedly camp in the area and the staff of the camp will tell you the ghost stories and legends are nothing more than tall tales at best. Easily dismissed until you realize that there is no camping on the mesa – except under extreme circumstances – and no one ever wanders it after dark.
Urraca means magpie in Spanish. Magpies are members of the crow family and known for being extremely tricky and mischievous as well as – like many members of the crow family – able to ferry the dead both to and from the underworld.
Legend says there was a great battle on mesa between good and evil. While good won they only sealed the evil behind a portal in the western eye of skull shape located at the topmost point of the mesa. Cat totems can be found in the area protecting the portal; totems said to have been left by the shaman who sealed the portal.
Cats vs magpies has a certain sense of logic to it.
Legend says should all the cat totems be removed or destroyed the gateway will rip open and the evil behind it will escape. Of the original 6 totems only 2 remain.
It is believed that the entire tribe took place in the battle and those few who survived left the area forever. It is historically true that the Pueblo peoples lived here for a millennium and then suddenly disappeared almost over night.
Sensitive individuals, dating back to the aboriginal populations who lived here long before the Spanish, British or American colonizers, claim to feel the presence of dark entities and other evil spirits here but cannot say exactly where they are.
This area was also used as a rest stop for cowboys moving herds of cattle. There are numerous stories of the apparitions of cowboys in the area. They neither interact with nor approach the living but usually stand at a distance seemingly observing.
Many people say wild animals will approach and follow humans for far longer and far more intensely than would be normal.
The apparition of a ghostly boy scout is seen and thought to be a scout who went missing in the area. His body has never been found.
Other Reported Activity: apparitions and shadow figures; unexplained breezes moving against the wind; disembodied whispers; light anomalies including flashing lights and feelings of being watched, followed and stalked.
A 38 off of US Hwy 64
17 Miles NE of Cimarron
Status: Ghost Town; Open to the Public
It is unclear whether there is still access to the old coal mines or not. Should you find any access please do not enter as you may become lost, succumb to unseen hazards or end your life in a thousand different ways in such a hostile environment. Remember we are here to investigate ghosts not to become one.
Dawson can be reached by taking Route 64 approximately 12 miles east of Cimarron and then heading north onto A38 at the striped sign and proceeding on that road for another 5 miles. After A38 crosses the adjacent railroad tracks a second time, turn onto the dirt road on the right (which proceeds east of A38 for approximately 1000 feet) to reach the site of the Dawson cemetery. The ruins of Dawson can be seen by continuing north on A38, which turns into Barus Road and then splits into Lauretta Road and Rail Canyon Road.
By Legends of America Archives - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="http://www.legendsofamerica.com/picturepages/pp-dawson11-people.html">Legends of America</a>, Public Domain, Link
Dawson coal mining was founded in 1901 when a rancher sold his land a fuel company. At this time coal was a major fuel source and for heating and powering the trains as well as for the generation of electricity.
By 1905 the town’s population had reached 2,000. At its maximum population it was reach 9,000 souls and boast a hospital, a swimming pool, a department store and even a movie theater. It made the owners of the mines very rich and provided a living for the thousands or workers and their families in the company town.
On October 22, 1913 the mines suffered there first major disaster. A stick of dynamite was set off in Stag Canyon Mine #2 while the mine was in full operation – a major safety violation. The explosion – which could be clearly felt 2 miles in the town - ignited the coal dust and led to the deaths of 273 men with only 13 survivors. Two rescuers were also killed during the rescue operation. It is still the second worst coal mining disaster in US history.
On February 8, 1923 a mining car derailed in Stag Canyon Mine #1 resulting in sparks which again ignited the coal dust. This time 123 men died – tragically many of them the sons of the men who died in 1913.
As horrible as these two disasters where they were not the reason the town was abandoned. Rather it was economics that shut down the mines and then the town in 1950. There just wasn’t enough demand for coal anymore and the contract with the railroad was coming to its end.
The entire town was razed to the ground with some assets sold off. Only the old Coke – processed coal used in metal manufacture – burners were left. These were demolished in the early 2000’s when the giant smokestacks became a liability to the owner.
Only cemetery remains now with iron crosses marking the graves of the many miners who perished pulling the coal out of the mountain.
Apparitions of dirty men in dated coal mining clothes and equipment still wander the town. Many are said to be angry due to the mines remaining open after the terrible disasters or perhaps because of their lives being cut so short to satisfy the green of other men.
At night the ghostly lights of the helmet lanterns can be seen moving in the cemetery.
On the anniversary of both disasters people have reported feeling the explosions rumbling in the ground.
Occasionally, an entire shift change of ghosts have been seen leaving and entering the mines.
Other Activity: shadow figures, cold spots, unexplained mists, touches by unseen presences, unexplained mists, electrical disturbances, light anomalies, powerful feelings of not being wanted, empathic sensations of sadness, loss and anger and feelings of not being alone, being watched and being followed.
Dripping Springs Trail
The Sanitarium was constructed by Nathan Boyd in 1910 as an isolated spot to house Tuberculosis patients away from the growing city of Las Cruces. His primary patient was his wife who he thought the mountain air would cure.
Unfortunately, mountain air failed cure his wife; nor would it cure all the other tuberculosis suffers who came to the sanatorium.
Sometime in the 1940′s the location was changed into either a mental asylum (probably an urban legend – it was used to be an insane asylum is almost as common as Satanic Rituals) or into another TB sanatorium.
Either way rumors of experiments on patients began to surface including beatings and people left abandoned in the mountains. The site was closed and left abandoned.
Apparitions of former patients and staff. People camping nearby have reported nightmares of what life was when it operated as a mental asylum. Feelings of being watched and of general unease are reported.
Other activity: unexplained cold spots, feeling of touched by unseen presences, light anomalies, disembodied voices and shadow figures.
One of our investigators has visited this site and sensed an eeriness and a feeling of being watched.
110 Main Street SW
Status: Former Residence; Former Restaurant; Closed
In 1692 Domingo de Luna was granted land by the King of Spain where Los Lunas is now. A few years later Don Pedro Otero arrived in the area also being granted land by the King of Spain.
The two families began to work together buying up the surrounding land and eventually functioning as a single family through intermarriage.
By the latter part of the 19th century the 2 families utterly controlled the area.
In 1880 the Santa Fe railway wanted to bring the railroad to the town. Only one problem, they needed to go right through the de Luna family homestead.
Antonio Jose Luna – the last name had been shortened – agreed with one condition. The Railway would have to build a new Luna homestead to the family’s specifications; the railway agreed.
Unfortunately, Jose died in 1891 the year the house was built. His eldest son, Tranquilino, took over the empire and moved his family into the new completed colonial mansion.
Tranquilino passed away in 1892 and the house was passed to his brother Solomon.
By 1920 the mansion had passed to Solomon’s nephew, Eduardo Otero, with the business. It was Eduardo’s wife, Josephita, who would make a number of renovations to the mansion including a solarium and the ironwork that now surrounds the property.
There were several different owners until the house was renovated into a fine dining restaurant.
It was then left abandoned and boarded up until the current owners took over. They reopened the mansion as a fine dining restaurant.
The Covid pandemic put an end to the mansion’s latest reincarnation. As the owners put it their fine dining business plan didn’t fit very well with take out and delivery.
The building went up for sale in June of 2020 and seems to be still for sale as of early 2023.
The mansion is haunted by Josephita Otero. She poured her entire life into the mansion and has continued to do so after her death.
Josephita is considered a friendly ghost but she didn’t make an appearance until the first renovation into a restaurant. One could be persuaded to believe that she was not fond of the changes being made to her home.
She appears in 1920’s attire and is generally described as seeming just as real as you and I. Her apparition is most often seen on the second floor where 2 bedrooms once existed, at the top of the stairs leading the second floor bar and in a store room located in the attic.
At the top of the stairs, she is frequently seen rocking in a rocking chair situated there. If approached she will rise from the chair and vanish completely.
It is said she walks the stairs between the second and first floor so frequently employees got so used to her she was just considered another staff member.
A groundskeeper named Cruz is frequently seen on the main level. Also dressed in noticeably out of date clothing he often seen on a couch as if he is waiting to be served. He is a known practical joker on both staff and customers; he is also known as being particularly fond of both women and children.
2355 Calle De Guadalupe
By Carole Brandt
The restaurant doesn’t really advertise or play up the murders and haunting, but every local knows the legend. The restaurant is in a beautiful 19th century home (1840's, I think) and was a residence until the 1950's; then it was abandoned and even used as a cotton warehouse until restoration in the 70's and 80's. The decor and furnishings are absolutely amazing. The Gold Room is commonly used for large parties or Wedding receptions. They also have a beautiful indoor patio.
The haunted Double Eagle Restaurant is a large adobe building located on the historic Mesilla Plaza where the Gadsden Purchase was finalized when Mexico turned the land purchased over to the United States. It's listed on the National Historic Register and is a shock to enter. You are met with sparkling baccarat crystal chandeliers, beautiful antique art, sculptures, and paintings.
It is believed two teenage ghost lovers haunt the building. This couple is named Armando and Inez, but the story is very familiar. Armando, son of the wealthy family and Inez one of their maids, fall in love. The romance is discovered by the very class-conscious Mother, who quickly fires Inez and sends her from the house.
Mother forbids Armando from seeing Inez but do teenage boys ever listen to their mother? The whole village conspires to support the young lovers but, one unlucky day, Mother comes home early unexpectedly and finds Armando and Inez in Armando's bedroom. Mother is so outraged she grabs her sewing shears and stabs Inez to death. In the struggle, she stabs her own son, Armando. Armando dies three days later and -- according to the locals -- he dies not of his wounds but of a broken heart. But, the important thing is that he dies, because now there are not one but two ghosts haunting the building.
The employees and some customers of the restaurant have tales to tell about their encounters with the ghosts of Armando and Inez.
Armando and Inez have their room at the Double Eagle, but a poltergeist has the run of the rest of the place, especially the long, heavy, carved wood bar, which is illuminated with sparkling chandeliers. The poltergeist flings carving knives across the kitchen floor, rakes wine glasses from shelves, slides dishes across diners’ tables, slams doors in empty rooms, shoves furniture from appointed places, mimics voices of employees, and whispers the names of patrons.
Cali Tellez, a retired county sheriff’s deputy said he responded several times when burglar alarms went off in the Double Eagle. One night, he said, he and other deputies found knives and cooking utensils scattered all across the kitchen floor.
Most telling are the ghost chairs located in the bedroom where both deaths occurred, it is now a small dining room named after the Empress Carlotta of Mexico. These ghost chairs show signs of wear, although sitting in them is forbidden. In the 1980’s after a room was remodeled the ghost of Inez was spotted.
Employees have reported someone calling their name, strong smell of perfume & an apparition of a small woman wearing a black skirt & white blouse. On October 24th 1989 witnesses saw 80 glasses fly off the back shelf onto the floor, only 3 were broken.
Status: Former Maximum Security Prison, Riot and Murder Site; Film Location Site
By <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://secure.flickr.com/people/kenpiorkowski/">Ken Piorkowski</a> - <a rel="nofollow" class="external free" href="https://secure.flickr.com/photos/kenpiorkowski/7434756262/">https://secure.flickr.com/photos/kenpiorkowski/7434756262/</a>, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link
In the early morning hours of Saturday, February 2, 1980 when the guards entered Dormitory E-2 the door to the dormitory was accidentally left unlocked. In a strange violation of the prison’s security policies the door to the hallway that led to the prison’s control center was also left unlocked. There were only 15 guards on duty watching over 1,100 inmates.
When the riot began the inmates fled down the hall toward the control room. The guard on duty fled as the inmates smashed the shatter proof glass leaving behind keys that would open most of the prison’s doors and gates. What followed can only be described as a “nightmare”.
The inmates tore the prison apart even ripping out the plumbing. Some inmates broke into the infirmary and began taking as many drugs as they could leading to overdoses – some of them being fatal.
Other inmates began to search for those who had done them wrong. By 8am they had gotten into the Tool Room and were using these tools to get into Cell Block 4 which housed the “snitches” and those inmates under protective custody.
The “snitches” were tortured and murdered horribly. One man was hung from the upper level of the cell block with sheets. Other men were decapitated and/or dismembered using the stolen tools. At least one man was burned alive – a mark on the prison’s floor remains to this floor from this grisly act.
All of the thirty-three prisoners killed met their end in Cell Block 4. Surprisingly all 12 guards who were taken prisoner lived; although some of them had been repeatedly beaten and raped by their captors.
By Sunday morning the riot, which had been disorganized from the beginning and fueled only by hate and drugs, began to calm down on its own. Many of the prisoners left the prison building and were waiting near the fence, which was lined with National Guardsmen armed with M-16′s, looking for protection. In the early afternoon of Sunday, February 3 the National Guardsmen and police retook the prison without any violence.
This episode remains a black day in the history of New Mexico and the prison was closed and locked up shortly after it happened. This part of the prison now sits abandoned.
This location was used by Adam Sandler’s movie “The Longest Yard” and the water tower still bears the fictional name – Allenville.
The New Mexico Dept of Corrections will not allow any ghost tours; nor does it accept the possibility of any paranormal activity. They will not discuss either subject.
The most active areas of the former prison are Cell Block 4 as well as Cell Block 3; which housed the maximum security prisoners; the tool room and the tunnels underneath the prison including the laundry room and the gas chamber.
Reported activity includes:
Apparitions of former prisoners, shadow figures, cell doors opening and closing by themselves despite being locked, phantom footsteps and voices, unexplainable noises including bangs, growls and screams, overwhelming feelings of evil and darkness as well as unease and powerful fear
Light anomalies, mysterious mists, the feelings of being watched and followed, being pushed, pulled, poked or genuinely attacked by invisible presences and electrical disturbances including lights coming on that have no light current going to them.