Esta página web utiliza "cookies" para garantizar que disfrutas de la mejor experiencia posible al visitar la página. Consulta nuestra política de privacidad para obtener más información al respecto. Para aceptar el uso de las "cookies" no esenciales, haz clic en "Estoy de acuerdo"
(Brownville Historical Society Museum at Bailey House)
412 Main Street
Status: Former Residence; Heritage Property; Museum
Captain Benson M Bailey was a Civil War Union veteran who survived his first wife and baby daughter’s deaths in 1860. He remarried and – with his remaining 3 children – moved to Nebraska from Tennessee and built this house in it’s original location.
The house’s original location provided a commanding view of the Missouri River but the river itself became the enemy. Previous to the 1870’s all of the mansions of the wealthy in Brownsville were built along the shores of the river but in 1877 the river began to undercut it’s banks.
Bailey moved his house piece by piece to it’s current location and rebuilt it just as it was.
While moving the house certainly saved the building it apparently it put them beside a dangerous neighbor. Legend says the neighbor poisoned both Bailey – in 1883 – and his wife – in 1880 – although no one was ever charged or convicted with their deaths.
It is thought that the neighbor murdered the wife out of jealousy and the Captain because he spurned her romantic invitations.
Another version has Bailey eating poisoned food that was meant for his wife which seems just a bit strange as she died before he did.
By the 1950’s this historical house was falling apart. Thankfully the Brownville Historical Society saved this house and many others in the town’s historical district.
This home now functions as a museum with a large collection of artifacts from Brownsville’s past.
Captain Bailey haunts his dream house.
These reports of paranormal activity are based mostly on staff experiences as well as visitors.
His apparition has been seen throughout the house as well as through the windows by those outside.
He is known for opening and closing doors – his body was found on the 4th floor propped up against a door – and will very energetically swing the door he was found against violently.
He also seems to have a fixation with electric lights causing them to flicker as well as turn off and on.
Phantom piano is heard coming out of the house when no one is in the building.
County Road L
Status: Country Road, Urban Legend
Legend has it that early in the 20th century a man – sometimes the Father; sometimes the Brother – who farmed in the area with his family committed a horrific crime.
His family included 7 young ladies and one night he became very angry with his family.
If there’s any truth to this legend the man, obviously, had extremely serious mental health issues.
So, he talks his sisters (daughters) one by one to come out of the house and leads them into the countryside. He then hangs them from trees on the top of each of the 7 hills along this road.
There are only 4 hills that have survived to modern day and the trees have long since been cut down. There is no historical record of this event ever happening.
Feels like just another Urban Legend, right? All Urban Legends have grains of truth in them and experiences along this stretch of road beg the question – what really happened on Seven Sisters Road?
Many of these reports come from seasoned paranormal investigators; not just teenagers looking to scare their girlfriends.
The most common reports of strange activity are electrical disturbances. Car headlights will dim on the road only to become bright again once the road is left. It is not wise to shut your car off on this road – it may not start so easily when you want to leave. Of course, your car could just stall leaving the point rather mute. Even experienced paranormal investigators have had batteries in equipment drain in seconds or minutes on this road.
Speedometers have frozen and car windows have rolled up and down on their own on the road.
Shadow figures have been seen on the road. Wispy apparitions – much like streams of fog – have crossed the road in front of cars. Screams of young woman have been heard echoing in the surrounding area.
Red eyes have suddenly appeared in the darkness that seem to watch witnesses. Disembodied voices and whispers are reported. Sudden winds creep up the switch directions suddenly and without warning.
Many people report the feeling of being sure they are not alone on this road.
(Valentine Public School)
3rd & MacComb Streets
Status: Former School; Museum
The Valentine Public School was built in 1898. The two-storey brick building was built to service both the primary and secondary students of the surrounding school district.
It is the oldest school house standing in the State. The school closed down in 1978.
It now functions as a historical museum and a heritage building. It is open from Spring to Fall.
In 1944 a female student died from a heart attack; this was related to poison found on her clarinet reed. It is unclear whether this was an accident or a purposeful act.
A faint apparition has been seen - which never fully comes into focus - that disappears as fast as it appeared.
Feelings of being watched, unease and of evil have been reported. Cold spots and unexplained bangs and other noises are also reported.
Wind chimes move on their own and a rocking chair has started rocking on its own.
Although there are no longer any musical instruments in the building the phantom sounds of music can still be heard in the old music room.