Esta página web utiliza "cookies" para garantizar que disfrutas de la mejor experiencia posible al visitar la página. Consulta nuestra política de privacidad para obtener más información al respecto. Para aceptar el uso de las "cookies" no esenciales, haz clic en "Estoy de acuerdo"
Whipple Lane in Washington Township Park
Status: Active Railway Bridge; Extreme Danger
This bridge was built in for the Big Four Railroad. It is used by CSX today, so it is an active rail line.
Active rail lines are private property and extremely dangerous. You want to investigate the site; not become of its ghosts – stay off the rails.
There are a number of legends associated with this bridge and there are records of people dying on this bridge.
The first is that a worker – possibly drunk – fell into the cement while the bridge was being constructed. When a train passes over the bridge his dying moans can still be heard.
Four workers – possibly doing an inspection on the bridge – fell over the side and drowned in the river below. Phantom thuds and splashes can be heard. Anyone looking at the river during this activity will see only calm water and no ripples.
The most famous legend – the one that makes this one of the many crybaby bridges in the world – is that a young mother carrying her baby slipped and fell off the bridge. Tragically, this killed them both. At night the sounds of the mother’s screams and the baby crying can be heard. Locals beep their car horn as they pass under the bridge to avoid hearing the baby crying.
The apparition of the mother is occasionally seen on the bridge or falling over the edge into the water.
This location is said to be the most active on Halloween Night.
21 N First Avenue
Status: Public Library; Annual Paranormal Investigation
By <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Nyttend" class="extiw" title="w:User:Nyttend">Nyttend</a> - <span class="int-own-work" lang="en">Own work</span>, Public Domain, Link
This is a private donation library that was incorporated in 1881 by Willard Carpenter. Willard was an agent of the Underground Railroad so was very concerned that the library be available for anyone who wanted to use it.
A true “public” library which was all but unheard of in the late 18th century.
The library was not declared haunted until 1936 when a custodian quit his job after reporting running into the spectral figure of a lady in grey in the building’s basement.
Since then, the grey lady has become Evansville’s most famous ghost with the library featuring many tours and 24/7 ghost cam set up with internet access – the photo below was captured on the ghost cam.
No one knows the identity of the lady in grey – although most think she is the daughter of the founder Louise Carpenter - but her apparition is dressed in clothes from the late 19th century. Her ghost is seen all over the library and has been witnessed by both staff and patrons.
The library runs 6 ghost cams 24/7 which are accessible via the Website Link we have posted above.
Other activity: light anomalies, smell of perfume, water taps that turn themselves on and off, unexplained noises, cold spots. reports of being touched, books and furniture being moved and strange items being found.
Corner of North Moores Hill Road and East Hunter Hill Road
Just outside of Kramer
Status: Former Hotel, Former Old Age Home, Former Restaurant; Abandoned Ruins
By Unknown author - Scan of a postcard, Public Domain, Link
This hotel and spa were built by Harry L Kramer in 1890; he also gave the nearby town his name. In 1884 a Civil War Veteran discovered the healing powers of the spring. While he was trying to dam it up he drank the water and the rheumatism he was suffering from began to alleviate.
Several famous people did visit the hotel while it was running to take advantage of the healing mud baths that were offered. However, some of the most famous cannot be substantiated including Marilyn Monroe, Al Capone and the John Dillinger Gang.
A devastating fire was completely destroyed the hotel on February 29, 1920. The property would remain abandoned until 1960 when a smaller building (than the original hotel) was constructed and used as an old age home and later a restaurant which also burned down in 1968.
It is unclear whether anyone perished in either of these fires.
Another building – which still exists on the property – was built after the restaurant burned called the Mudlavia Lodge. It was operated until 1976 when it too burned.
Only one building remains on the grounds now as well as the ruins of others. The water is still bottled by the Perrier Group of America and marketed under a variety of names.
Feelings of unease and what has been described as an eeriness. Feelings of being watched and of not being alone.
Light anomalies have been seen and photographed both on the grounds and (more commonly) in the buildings. Faint disembodied whispers have also been heard.
Status: Former General Store; Bed & Breakfast
This quaint bed and breakfast is located in the tiny village of Story. It is located in the old general store for the town.
It is unclear what causes this haunting it is thought the "Blue Lady" may have been one of the wives of George Story. The stories of her date back for years and are told by both guests and staff.
The current owner has renamed the room she is most frequently seen and felt in the Blue Lady.
Activity has been reported most often when a certain blue lamp is turned on in the room - hence the name of the ghost - but activity has been reported with the lamp off.
A blue shadow crossing the room, often crossing right over people is frequently reported. The full apparition of the lady is often seen after this.
She is reported as looking at herself in the mirror and looking directly at the room's living occupants. She then seems to get herself ready - fixing her nails, fixing her hair etc.
She is also reported as often whistling and often glides over to the window.
Her name is also given by the fact that she wears blue from head to foot.
She seems to be very aware of the living and has interacted with them including at least one report of a man having his bottom pinched. Another report indicates she left long scratches down a man's back and cuddled up to him as a lover.
Her apparition has also answered questions posed by the living. She also leaves souvenirs behind after her visits including fake fingernails and hair ribbons.
There also reports of her calling out people's names as well as whispering them into their ears. She may possibly be one of the friendliest ghosts in history especially to men.
Her energy is said to fill the room completely, there can be no doubt when she is there.
3838 East Old 36 Road
Status: Former Tuberculosis Sanatorium; Former Psychiatric Hospital; Former Nursing Home
Paranormal Investigations and Tours Available
This sanatorium was the first and only tuberculosis sanatorium in the State of Indiana.
In 1907 with the tuberculosis pandemic – what many called the ‘White Plague’ – showing no signs of abating the State began looking for a site to build a sanatorium. Tuberculosis was highly communicable with a high mortality rate. Before antibiotics were discovered the only thing that could be done for the sufferers was isolation and fresh air.
Some medical practices 21st century medicine would consider almost inhumane were also tried on the severe cases; like surgery to remove ribs and lung tissue.
Indiana decided the sanatorium would be built 3 miles east of Rockville and in 1911 the site was completed and began admitting patients.
In the 1950’s, with the discovery of antibiotics, the number of tuberculosis patients began a steady decline.
The sanatorium was closed down in 1968 and the site left abandoned for a number of years.
It was then re-opened in 1976 as the Lee Bryant Healthcare Center. This nursing home and psychiatric facility took care of mentally and physically disabled seniors.
By the 2000’s the facility was facing several lawsuits and under investigation by the State for reports of abuse, negligence and losing patients.
In 2009 one employee shot another employee in the maintenance building and then shot themselves. The police labeled it a drug related murder-suicide.
Over the next 2 years all patients were transferred out of Bryant Healthcare and the doors were locked. They left everything behind and until nature began it’s slow reclamation of the area it looked as if the next shift might be coming in any second.
The site remained deserted for 10 years until Gregg Larson bought it in December of 2021 and converted it into a paranormal investigation, urban exploration and photography premier location.
Book your own experience at the phone number or website link above. This site has numerous excellent reviews and is highly recommended.
Reported Activity: apparitions of former patients, apparitions of former staff, shadow people, being touched, tugged and pushed by unseen forces, feelings of unease, intense sadness, fear, being watched, wanting to leave, not being wanted and not being alone, phantom smells, mysterious mists including some moving against the wind, cold spots, warm spots, unexplained sounds including – voices, laughter, foot steps, screams, weeping, something being dragged and banging, time slips, dimensional shifts, unexplained light phenomena, sudden movement in the peripheral vision, doors and windows opening and closing on their own, objects moving on their own, objects disappearing and reappearing, unexplained winds and breezes etc.
1882 US 27 South
Status: Former Poor House/Asylum; Former Nursing Home; Paranormal Attraction
Paranormal Investigations Available
In 1851 this land was put aside for the building of a poor house to take of those with no where to go and unable to fend for themselves. The original building held only 13 inmates who were expected to work on the farm to earn their keep. Of course, most of them were unable to work due to physical and mental disabilities.
In 1853 a new building was constructed so 16 people could be housed. In less than a year – the following January – the building caught fire and burned to the ground.
Between 1855-56 a brick building was constructed but was eventually demolished due to unsafe conditions and the need to house more people.
In 1899 the existing building was constructed. It is over 50,000 square feet, had 6 wards – some with private rooms, men’s and women’s dining rooms, laundry facilities and sat on 350 acres. Sounds like the perfect facility; except living there was a nightmare for the residents – and yes, they really were called inmates.
The County changed it over to the Countryside Care Center in 1994 although the building was almost empty with very few residents.
It was closed in 2009 and used as a County storage facility until 2016 when it was privately bought and turned into a paranormal attraction.
Apparitions of former patients and staff as well as shadow figures. Objects moving on their own including doors opening and closing on their own. Unexplained noises including crashes and bangs, disembodied voices and screams. Touches, pokes and prods by unseen forces. The phantom sounds of footsteps and children laughing.
Overnight investigations and 2 hour ghost hunts can be booked.