1 Munro Street
Status: Natural Pool; Legend
Devil’s Pool is a very treacherous stretch of water where massive granite boulders fill Babinda Creek. It is a very popular tourist spot; it has also killed 20 people in last 50 years (19 verified) – mostly young men.
3 streams come together in this spot making it especially dangerous during the wet season. Although at no time is it ever safe to swim here.
On October 19, 2021 a Brisbane father became the pool’s 19th victim. Just 7 months earlier the pool took the life of young 18-year-old girl.
The Aboriginals call the pool the Washing Machine in reference to the deadly undercurrents.
The water is deep, very fast moving and filled with rocks beneath the surface. People have drowned by being sucked under while swimming, accidentally falling in and becoming wedged in the rock chutes.
Swimming is not advised here; especially if you are of the male persuasion.
So why only men? I hear you ask. If its dangerous wouldn’t it be dangerous to both genders? Albeit men – especially young ones – do have a tendency to do more dumbass things especially in dangerous places.
Hold my beer dude and watch this.
Actually – according to Aboriginal legend – there is more to it that just testosterone filled stupidity. There is a spirit here and she has more than enough good reasons to not be fond of men.
The story says a beautiful girl named Oolana from the Yindinji Tribe was married off to an elder of the tribe. Soon afterwards a young and impressive man visited the tribe and Oolana fell head over heels. Unfortunately for everyone concerned the feelings were mutual and they began an adulterous affair.
They fled into the wilderness but were caught by the elders near Babinda’s Boulders. Oolana broke free and ran calling for her lover to follow her. He could not and she, tragically, fell into the pool ending her life.
The spirit of Oolana eternally haunts the Devil’s Pool taking her revenge on the gender who caused all the grief in her life. 17 of the 19 deaths have been male and according to legend there were many more male deaths previous to British colonization.
They say if you’re quiet and still you can still hear Oolana calling out to her lover to join her. Perhaps if he had this place would have called Angel’s Pool and been a place for young couples to fall in love.
Alas. . . If only
(Brisbane General Cemetery)
304 Birdwood Terrace
Status: Historical Cemetery
Ghost Tours are Available
The Brisbane General Cemetery also known as Toowong Cemetery at Toowong, Brisbane was established in 1866 and formally opened in 1875.
It is Queensland's largest cemetery and is located on forty-four hectares of land at the corner of Frederick Street and Mount Coot-tha Road approximately four and a half kilometres west of Brisbane.
By <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Rocketrod1960" class="extiw" title="en:User:Rocketrod1960">Rocketrod1960</a> (<a href="https://en.wikipedia.orgcreated this work entirely by myself.</span>), Public Domain, Link
Paddington Cemetery - Brisbane's original cemetery - was located close to the Brisbane City near the northern end of the William Jolly Bridge. It was bounded by Skew Street, Saul Street, Eagle Terrace and Upper Roma Street.
As Brisbane expanded due to its opening to a free settlement in 1842, growth was such that the cemetery was eventually surrounded by residential properties. The cemetery was moved to twenty-five hectares of land between Milton Road, Hale Street, Sweetman Street and Dowse Street and was situated on the current site of Suncorp Stadium.
In 1861 200 acres (0.81 km2) of land was set aside for a new cemetery at Toowong. In 1870 a Cemetery Trust was established with trustees James Cowlishaw, John Hardgrave, William Pettigrew, Samuel Griffith, George Edmonstone, Alexander Raff, John Petrie (Chairman), Michael Quinlan and Nathaniel Lade the trustees to search for alternative sites as the Toowong site was considered by some as inappropriate.
Colonel Samuel Blackall, Queensland's second Governor, had been a supporter of the Toowong site and, in his ill health, indicated his desire to be buried there. This was done when he was buried on the highest knoll on 3 January 1871.
Even though Blackall had been buried; the search for an alternate site continued. The search was unsuccessful however and the Toowong site was eventually was accepted as the final location. Six more burials would be performed here before the official opening of the Cemetery in 1875.
In April 1975 the Cemetery was full with all plots having been sold. The Cemetery was closed to new burials except for family graves.
The Brisbane City Council started a project to remove hundreds of worn, forgotten headstones in the three major city cemeteries. Old, neglected monuments were removed from Toowong, Lutwyche and South Brisbane cemeteries and trees and shrubs planted. The long-term aim of the scheme was to return the cemeteries to open space with a parkland atmosphere. It is thought approximately 1,000 memorials were removed from Toowong.
The Cemetery was reopened for further burials in 1998 with approximately 450 plots available for sale.
Currently, the Cemetery is a popular place for joggers and dog walkers, with its over-hanging fig trees and winding pathways.
It has also earned a reputation for being haunted. Brisbane Ghost Tours conduct regular guided tours through the grounds of the cemetery on Saturday nights.
Jack The Ripper
In August of 2008 Toowong Cemetery made world news with the revelation that Jack the Ripper may well be buried there. According to Queensland Historians Jack Sim and Paul Tully, Walter Thomas Porriott was in the Whitechapel area of London at the time of the murders and later migrated to Australia. The headstone over his grave is only engraved with "Bessie - Died 25th June 1957 - And her Husband".
Toowong Cemetery is one of the biggest and most beautiful in Brisbane. Unfortunately, due to its location near a main road it is also a rather loud and restless environment.
There are many rumors regarding the hauntings and occurrences in the cemetery, however most are just that - rumors. There is a definite vibe to the place; there is very strong energy there and sometimes strong feelings of sadness can be picked up on.
The only commonplace rumor of any violent or physical manifestations in the cemetery involves one of the crypts right near the main entrance. People have claimed to hear objects being thrown around and ‘voices’ yelling.
Otherwise, it is simply a beautiful cemetery that has unfortunately became victim of vandalism and ridiculous stories. It is just a resting place with strong energies and emotions tied to it.
21 Boggo Road
Status: Former Maximum Security Prison; Heritage Property; Open to Public
Paranormal Investigations Available
The first cellblock opened on July 2, 1883 and over the years many other buildings came and went on the site. The first buildings were built by Robert Porter, contained 57 cells, and were constructed using materials from the demolished Petrie Terrace Jail.
In 1903 a structure was built to hold female prisoners. This later became known as the No.2 Division, and is now the only prison building still standing. It is heritage-listed.
The 'No.1 Division' built in 1883 was the scene of 42 hangings, including the hanging of Ernest Austin in 1913; the last execution in Queensland.
A new prison was built around the perimeter of No.1 prison during the 1960s and No.1 prison was demolished leaving area for an oval and recreational facilities for the newly built prison and this prison had running cold water and toilet facilities in all cells.
Under the oval was the facility that became known as the "black hole" where prisoners were subjected to "punishment". The "black hole" still in use until the late '80s.
Protests at the gaol during the 1980s saw inmates undertake hunger strikes, roof top protests, and rioting over the poor conditions and treatment. The prison was constantly in the headlines and became notorious around Australia.
Many cells still did not have any form of sanitation and facilities for washing were lacking. Prisoners were required to use a bucket through the evening for toilet breaks and empty it, or 'slop out', in the morning.
A Queensland Government inquiry into the living conditions of State prisons found Boggo Road to be outdated and inadequate for prisoners' needs. No.2 Division was closed in 1989.
The replacement No.1 division was closed in 1992 and was demolished in 1996 (a small section of what was "C5" and guard tower still remain). A more modern (by 1960's standards) prison for women operated adjacent to this site until 2000 and was demolished in 2006.
Since 1992 the No.2 Division has been home to the Boggo Road Gaol Museum, which featured displays of prison-related artefacts. Throughout the 1990s ex-officers conducted guided tours of the site, and from 2003 the museum and tours were operated by the Boggo Road Gaol Historical Society, a non-profit incorporated association of volunteers.
Like many other similar places around the country, the site also hosts ghost tours.
Redevelopment of the surrounding site began in 2006, leading to the temporary closure of the Boggo Road Gaol historical site.
The No.2 Division prison buildings were preserved according to its heritage listing.
The gaol was originally designed to house 40 male prisoners serving as a holding place for prisoners heading to St Helena Island in Moreton Bay. However, by 1989 there were 187 male prisoners and the women's facility had around 200 additional prisoners.
Stories of paranormal activity at this site date back to the 1930’s.
At around midnight, every night, an old prison guard, who was brutally murdered by 2 inmates, can be seen walking around the perimeter of the fence, just outside the main cell block. If you listen, you can also hear the group of keys that he carried, rattling against his leg as he walks.
Stories of the ghost of Ernest Austin – the last man hung here – nicknamed “Ernie” were used to scare new guards and new prisoners alike but there may have been some truth to these stories.
A female ghost has been seen which thought to be either Ellen Thompson – the only woman ever executed in Queensland - or a former guard from the women’s prison.
The ghost of 3 legged cat is also often seen. He is called – fittingly – tripod and will rub himself against visitor’s legs.
Apparitions of former guards, staff and prisoners; touches, tugs and pushes by unseen presences; cold and warm spots; possessions.
Disembodied voices, whispers and cries; unexplained noises from banging on the cells to a broom sweeping and everything in-between; phantom footsteps; feelings of not being alone, being watched, not being wanted and being stalked; empathic feelings of fear, anger, bipolar, hopelessness and sadness.
The energy at this site can be so powerful for some sensitives they can become physically ill or so overwhelmed they have no choice to leave.