(Real Felipe Fortress)
+51 1 4290532
Status: Former Naval Defense Fort and Prison; Museum; Military Installation
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.
During the time of the Viceroyalty of Peru – when Peru was a Spanish colony – the original fortress was constructed between 1640 – 1647 as part of the Walls of Lima. The fortress, along with the walls, were built to keep the port safe from attacks from pirates and other European powers.
The 1746 Lima-Callao earthquake – 8.8 on the Richter scale – almost completely destroyed the fort.
In January of 1747 construction was begun on the new fortress based on a design of a French architect. The stone for the construction came from both nearby San Lorenzo Island and the ruins left by the earthquake.
It was named in honour of the Spanish King Felipe V who had recently passed away.
Construction ended in 1774.
It then functioned as protection for the Spanish fleet – Callao was now their major port for operations in the New World – and coastal protection.
In 1816 the fortress repulsed a blockade by the Argentinians. This was an attempt to wrest control of Peru from the Spanish and grant it independence.
In 1819 the fortress repulsed another attack; this time by the British Royal Navy.
Also, in 1819 the Argentinians attacked the city more successfully from land. Peru declared it’s independence and siege was laid to the fortress – the fortress was the last hold out of the Spanish forces.
The fort surrendered to the independence forces in 1921 but the Spanish quickly captured it again from the sea.
In 1826, when the second siege of the city was finally broken, the fort finally passed into Peruvian hands for good.
In 1863 the Spaniards and this fortress played a major part in the final battle in 1866 forcing the Europeans back to Spain. Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Ecuador were finally free of Spanish colonization for good.
Between 1879 – 1883 the fort also played a significant part in the war with Chile in the protection of Callao harbour.
This fortress represents the most important Spanish construction in the New World.
The fort is now a museum for the Peruvian Army as well as an active military installation.
It is a UNESCO site.
Should you decide to go to this site please aware it is located in a very sketchy neighbourhood. Take a taxi in the daytime and do not under any circumstances come here after dark; plain and simple it is NOT safe at all.
The fort’s ‘woman in white’ is it’s most famous ghost. She is usually seen around midnight on the drawbridge to the King’s Tower.
A little boy is frequently seen in the Governor’s House. People visiting the museum often see him in amongst the military displays. He will usually run away quickly before fading into thin air. He is described as about 2 years of age and dressed like a 19th century sailor.
A soldier who lost his courage haunts the Queen’s Tower. Upon seeing the enemy approaching he lost his nerve and jumped from the tower to his death. People now see his misty apparition on the tower while others experience powerful empathic feelings of intense fear and a strong desire to jump to their deaths.
The dungeon – an extremely small hellhole where prisoners were forced to stand throughout their entire incarceration even while sleeping – is also very active paranormal area. Activity reported here includes: apparitions; shadow figures; cold spots; unexplained mists; unexplained noises including loud bangs and footsteps; disembodied voices; light anomalies; phantom cries and feelings of not being alone.
Throughout the fortress reports of shadow figures and disembodied voices are very common as are feeling as if something is always watching you.
Avenue España 1337
Status: Former Residence; Former Commercial Property; Legendary Cursed Ground; Famous Haunted Building
This building in Lima is named after the family that owned a hardware company that used the building from the 1950’s to 2005.
The building and land have a long, 200 years +, history of paranormal activity and a haunting.
The first building here was built during colonial times and inhabited by a woman moving to South America from Persia.
As a complete stranger with no family or friends on the continent she was mistrusted instantly; it didn’t help that she possessed healing techniques. As with many other within the reach of the misogynist Catholic Church and seen as a challenge to their power the lady was accused as having supernatural powers granted from the Devil.
The woman was accused and found guilty of witchcraft: she is burned at the stake.
As she is burned to death she casts one more spell – or rather curse – that anyone who inhabits her home or her land will suffer nothing but misfortune.
Many years later a wealthy man with a reputation of cruelty and general nastiness bought the land and built his home there. After years of treating his servants horribly they decided to take revenge by putting a hallucinogenic drug into the food served at a meal for the man and his friends. It was not intended to kill anyone; just give them a “bad trip”.
The servants soon heard crazy laughter and screams filled with terror coming from the room; they waited until the all noise stopped and then entered the room. The guests had completely lost their minds and ripped each other to shreds filling the room with blood and torn limbs.
It is said most of the servants were so affected by what they had caused and saw they spent the rest of their lives locked away in an asylum.
The next story involves the Matusita family – from which the house gets it’s name – who were by all accounts a very normal upper middle class Japanese family of a mother, father and 2 children. They apparently owned the hardware business on the lower floor.
Eventually the curse – or, perhaps, a dark entity called by it – took over. The father came home from work one day took out a knife and stabbed to death his wife and 2 children before turning the knife on himself.
Since then, a priest has+ died under mysterious circumstances while performing an exorcism in the building.
More recently, an Argentinian tv host tried to spend a night in the house. After much bragging and bravado, he only lasted 4 hours before leaving. It is said he required months of psychological therapy to recover.
While no one lives here anymore – nor does there seem to be any businesses here – there are still stories from this legendary cursed haunted house.
Reported Activity Today: apparitions and other unexplained movement are seen in the second floor windows; unexplained noises emanating from the building such as screams, laughter and cries; an empathic powerful sense of evil and darkness from the building; disembodied voices; light anomalies and feelings of being watched from the windows.
Even the ghost tours in Lima do not enter the building in fear of having their customers attacked.
(Presbítero Maestro Cemetery)
Jirón Ancash, Block 16-20
Status: Historical Cemetery; Ghost Tours are Suspended Right Now (2022)
By Jan Corimanya Díaz - Donated by its author, Attribution, Link
The cemetery was built between 1805 and 1808 on what was then the outskirts of Lima. It was the first municipal cemetery built in Latin America.
Matias Maestro, who designed the cemetery, is buried below a pillared pavilion.
This cemetery is the resting place of many of Peru’s important historical figures and is home to the largest collection of 19th century European sculptures in Latin America. The graves of 297 heroes who gave their lives for Peru are also in the cemetery.
In it’s entirety the cemetery contains the remains of over 200,000 souls and it covers an area of 20 hectares (50 acres).
Although the cemetery has been declared as a National Historic Monument, and the city considers it a museum, it has still suffered a great deal of damage from pollution, age and – gotta love humans – vandalism. A private benevolent society does their best to work on it’s preservation; albeit on an almost non-existent budget.
There are no longer burials allowed in the cemetery unless your family already owns a tomb.
Daily tours are available.
The ghost of a 6 year old boy – who died in 1893 – is one of the more famous hauntings of the cemetery. Immediately after being put in his mausoleum cemetery workers began to hear phantom laughter near his tomb. Then the stone vases in area began to tip over with no one touching them. Finally, an apparition of a small boy in just a white night dress began to appear. He continues to appear to this day.
A cult around the boy began to grow; a cult that still exists today. People leave toys, flowers, food and other things around the boy’s grave. To this day the gifts are left behind and woman wash his statue at the tomb.
At the so-called “suicide pavilion” 2 cousins who fell in love but were separated by their families are interned. The woman – Maria – was going to be forced to marry another man so the two decided the only solution was to commit a double suicide. After their deaths the families decided to bury them together in hopes what was denied to them in life could given them in death.
The apparitions of the two of them are now seen together – usually holding hands – near their graves. They are reported as staring into nothingness and do not seem to be aware of their surroundings at all much less the living witnesses.
Finally, we have a story which sounds more like a Christian mythological Urban Legend if anything. The story is of Emilia Torres who is said to have been a witch since childhood – the only basis for this accusation seems to be she used Tarot Cards – and at 20 is said to have sold her soul to the Devil for more power.
Her grave is rumoured to now be a gathering place for evil cults; although any group – evil or not – with even the slightest bit of understanding in the occult and paranormal would see this legend for what it is.
Other Reported Activity: apparitions of many of the deceased interned here, shadow figures, disembodied voices; time and dimensional slips; unexplained noises including loud bangs, knocks, scratching, laughter, breathing etc; touches, tugs and pulls by unseen entities; cold spots; light anomalies and feelings of not being alone and being watched.
This hotel was built as part of a series of buildings designed to modernize the city and honor the centennial anniversary of the Battle of Ayacucho which led Peru’s independence in the Spanish-American War.
The hotel was built in the famous Plaza San Martin and opened on December 6, 1924 by the President of Peru. In 1938 the hotel was converted from 3 stories to 5 stories without altering the overall architecture.
In 2017 the owners nearly lost the hotel for unpaid property taxes but an agreement was reached keeping the building off of the auction block. The hotel is a national monument as decreed by a Supreme Resolution.
The hotel is considered to be one of the most haunted locations in all of Peru. Many consider it to be one of the most haunted hotels on Earth.
Although management denies it is rumored the 5th and 6th floors are closed – closed more than a decade ago - due to a high level of paranormal activity. The elevators will not go to either floor and the staircases from the 4th floor up are blocked for hotel guests.
The most famous – and most often seen – ghost is that of a former bellboy who is known for both suddenly appearing and disappearing.
A Woman in White also wanders the halls of the hotel. She is only visible for a short period before disappearing; usually in front of witnesses. Another woman who is seen in the hotel is said to have jumped from a hotel window to her death.
The ghost of a former security guard has been seen still patrolling the hotel.
Other Activity: apparitions of former guests and employees; touched, tugs and pulls by unseen entities; unexplained sounds including talking, laughter and bangs; electrical disturbances; objects moving on their own and feelings of being watched and not being alone.