Seasonal Paranormal Tour Available
By <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/people/77742560@N06">shankar s.</a> from Dubai, united arab emirates - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/shankaronline/27595173245/">Taking off over one of the delightful islands of Nfl</a>, CC BY 2.0, Link
This island, of approximately 34 square kilometres, is located off the coast of the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland. There are only 3 communities on the island and the only access is by a Provincal run ferry.
The first Europeans settled here in the mid-19th Century but the population would explode once iron ore was discovered in 1890. Eventually the mine would become of the world’s largest submarine mine with tunnels extending a long ways underneath the surrounding bay.
In World War II two 4.7-inch guns were installed on the island – they can still be seen today – as iron ore was one of the most important ores for the manufacture of war materials. This island – due to a torpedo hitting land – is the only place in North America that was ever directly attacked by Nazi (German) forces.
There were 2 attacks by German submarines in the harbour on September 5 and November 2 in 1942 resulting in 4 merchant ore carriers being sunk with a loss of 70 men. With one torpedo accidentally striking land (as detailed above).
In the 1950’s a larger iron ore deposit was discovered in Quebec where the ore could be easily moved to the refineries by rail instead of boat. This made the mines on Bell Island no longer economically feasible and the economy of the island all but collapsed over night.
The island is now a recreation area and a rural sleeper community for St John’s. There are some concerns that the old mines may one day collapse – they go down almost 2 kilometres – resulting in a local tsunami.
Although possibly not of paranormal origins there was an incident on April 2, 1978 known as the Bell Island Boom. A loud noise that could be heard up to 50 kilometres away resulted in 2 cup shaped depressions; seemingly from an impact. Televisions nearby even exploded.
Many people think it was a test of experimental particle weapon by either the Soviet Union of the United States. Although meteorologists have stated the atmospheric conditions at the time where not conducive to lightning at the time the incident has been labeled as an unusually large bolt of lightning.
Things got even more interesting in 2019 when there was another loud bang. This one was quickly identified as a chunk of the island splitting off and crashing into the ocean.
At least 106 miners lost their lives while the mines were open. Tours are given in the old No 2 and No 4 mines. Disembodied voices have been heard in the tunnels as well as freezing cold winds that come out of nowhere. Phantom footsteps are frequently heard and an eerie feeling of being watched is constant for most people.
At the entrance to one of the mines completely sealed off the apparitions of two entire shifts changing has been seen. Men leaving the mines and greeting loved ones and other heading down to work. This could be caused by a time slip to a time when the mines were running at full occupancy.
In Butler’s Marsh there are said to be fairies but not the ones in fairy tales or Disney movies. No, these fairies are described as monstrously twisted nightmarish men that will lure you to your death amid the water soaked marshes. They were even said to take children right from their homes.
Finally, we have the Bell Island Hag who haunts Dobbin’s Gardens. She (It) has 2 different origin stories: 1) she was a woman who came upon Nazi sympathizers helping German sailors replenish their U-Boat and was murdered for it; 2) she was the woman in white who murdered miners on the way home from their shifts – this is apparently a true story but the woman was a member of one of the prominent families on the island and never punished for her crimes.
People who have seen the Hag say she appears first as a white woman moving over the marsh. As she (it) gets closer the colour turns to grey and it gets down on all fours seeming more of an animal than a human. The creature has a terrible face and strong sulphur smell that knocks victims out.
Strait of Belle Isle
Off the Coast of the Great Northern Peninsula
Status: Natural Wonder (Island); Legend
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document according to the terms in Creative Commons License, Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0. The full text of this license may be found here: CC by-sa 2.0
This is a small island off of the north coast of Newfoundland in the Strait of Belle Isle.
There is only one place to stay here at the Lighthouse Inn which is accessible only a boat. The lighthouse is owned by the Government of Canada but the Inn is privately owned.
This island is the origins of the Isle of Demons.
This island is considered to be the best choice for the so-called Isle of Demons – if the island ever existed at all.
Or perhaps it just disappeared into the mists of time.
The Isle of Demons first appeared on European maps in the 16th century and disappeared again in the 17th century.
The legend dates back to the Aboriginal tribes who avoided the island believing it was populated by the spirits of the dead.
The European colonists believed the island to be populated by demons and vicious beasts that would attack passing ships or anyone stupid enough to land on it’s shores.
In the mid-16th century, a French Noblewoman – Marguerite de la Rocque – is said to have been marooned here - with her lover - after having a shipboard affair with a sailor. To this day the apparitions of the couple are seen on the island.
That being said, many believe the couple was actually marooned at what is now Harrington Harbour, Quebec.
By <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/50601122@N00">Dylan Kereluk from White Rock, Canada</a> - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/50601122@N00/4560714">Flickr</a>, CC BY 2.0, Link
The actual first site of European contact with the Americas outside of Greenland. It was discovered in the 1960’s.
In 2021 carbon dating was used to confirm a mean carbon date of 1014. This is the accepted date when the Norse landed here. Its possible Leif Ericsson himself was here based on the Icelandic Sagas which were written in 1200.
This site is 7,991 hectares (30.85 square miles) of both land and ocean. Eight buildings – manufactured by sod – and over 2,000 Norse objects have been unearthed at this site. It is the only confirmed Norse landing in North America outside of Greenland.
The paranormal activity in this location is very time related – June 23 – although extremely rarely witnesses have witnessed a weak echo of the events on other days.
In the early morning hours of every June 23, it would seem the original landings are replayed over and over. People have seen and heard Viking boats come in and land, as well screaming and yelling is heard and Viking horns blow cutting into the serenity of the early morning.