By <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/12063590@N06">Moy toy</a> - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pentacube/2439559231/">Stave fall powerhouse</a>, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link
Using the 24 metre (79 foot) drop of Stave Falls for the production of power is an idea that dates back to 1890. In 1895 permission was given to officially study the falls and lake and in 1909 construction was began on the dam.
The first generator went on line in December of 1911, the second one in January of 1912, the third in 1916 and fourth one in 1922. A fifth generator was opened in 1925 when the height of the dam was raised.
Beginning in 1995 decommissioning of the old powerhouse was begun. In 2000 the new powerhouse with more efficient generators opened and the old powerhouse became a tourist attraction and a museum.
This location is considered by some to be one of the most haunted locations in British Columbia.
There have been many verified fatalities both at the site and in the waters surrounding it.
Shadow figures have been seen sliding along the walls in the building. Disembodied voices are commonly reported both in the building and in the surrounding forest and waters. People have reported hearing their names called in a faint whisper and right out loud when they were alone in the building.
The pipes are banged on by an unseen force. The ghostly barking of a puppy that drowned with 2 men whose boat capsized near the dam is often heard. Phantom footsteps are heard as well as doors slamming on their own when the building is empty.