Built in 1884 by George Fitzgerald and called The Metropolitan in anticipation of a population explosion that never happened.
Medora remained a very small town, although it was built a meat packing industry; meat was frozen and shipped to Chicago on the railroad.
President Theodore Roosevelt was the first President to visit Medora – he even made a speech from a balcony on the hotel – and the hotel was renamed after the President’s riders.
The hotel was renovated in 1963 and a large resort building was added 2010.
The main fireplace in the hotel is made from reused bricks from the old North Dakota Capitol building which burned to the ground.
The apparition of a boy is seen in the hallways. People have even been woken in the middle of the night by the sounds of a child playing in the hallway only to open their room doors and find no one and nothing.
Toilets also tend to flush on their own in this building.
Other Reported Activity: disembodied laughter; electrical issues; phantom footsteps; light anomalies and feelings of being watched.