By <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/people/92487715@N03">Robert Linsdell</a> from St. Andrews, Canada - <a rel="nofollow" class="external text" href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/boblinsdell/9444702532/">Lower Fort Garry, St. Andrews (410226)</a>, CC BY 2.0, Link
This fort was built by the Hudson Bay Company in 1830 to replace the original Fort Garry which was destroyed by a flood. It is located 32 kilometers (20 miles) north of the original fort site.
The fort was built on higher ground and below the St Andrew’s rapids negating a long portage with the furs coming down from the north. While it was easier for the fur traders up north it was a major inconvenience for the settlers who were setting up the colony that would become Winnipeg at The Forks.
In the end Upper Fort Garry was built near the original site of Fort Garry and the Lower Fort never became the administration centre it was meant to be.
The Fort’s major contribution to history was to be the place of the signing of Indian Treaty 1 – the first of 9 treaties – which was supposed to begin the process of settling of Europeans in what would become Western Canada as well as leaving the Aboriginal population with land.
Rather than promote unity and cooperation, both sides immediately disagreed on what the treaty meant and it began the ongoing issues that we still deal with today.
The fort has been used as a penitentiary, a mental hospital for 2 years and even a golf course country club. The Hudson Bay Company owned the fort until 1951 when they turned it over to the Federal Government who would name it a Historical Site and open it as a living museum.
The ghost of a woman is seen in the basement kitchen.
The warehouse – which served both as the jail and the asylum – is the most active.
Apparitions of former inmates are seen; strange noises and bangs are heard; disembodied voices; light anomalies and feelings of being watched and not being alone.