515 Jarvis Street, toronto, on

(416) 964-6609

Status: Former Residence; Former Radio Station; Former Art Gallery; Restaurant



Please Share Your Experiences
Name Your Experiences @ Keg Mansion Submit

Keg Mansion.JPG

By The original uploader was <a href="" class="extiw" title="wikipedia:User:SimonP">SimonP</a> at <a href="" class="extiw" title="wikipedia:">English Wikipedia</a>. CC BY-SA 3.0Link


This mansion was originally built by Arthur McMaster – nephew of the founder of the McMaster University in Hamilton – in 1867. At the time Jarvis Street was home to the city’s wealthiest citizens and lined with mansions like this one. The house was set back from the street – as it is today – but surrounded by gardens not a parking lot.

The original mansion had 26 rooms and 16 fireplaces.

In 1882 Hart Massey bought the mansion and lived there with his wife, Lillian, who named the house Euclid Manor. They added the verandah, turret and greenhouse. The Massey’s became one of Toronto’s most prominent families founding buildings like Massey Hall; Canada’s first concert hall.

They moved in 1915 – after gifting the house to the University of Toronto’s Victoria College – when the area began to become more commercial.

The mansion became the home of the radio station CFRB – now 1010 Talk Radio – and then home to an art gallery. In the 1960’s it was bought by Jules Fine and became known as Julie’s Mansion. After she suffered a stroke, the grounds were sold off and the greenhouse was demolished; a gas station was built on the corner.

In 1976 Keg Restaurants (a Canadian steakhouse restaurant chain know for buying up old disused properties and converting them into restaurants) bought the house and grounds and turned it into a Keg Restaurant.


Paranormal Activity

The Massey’s had one daughter, Lillian, who died of natural causes in the house.

There used to be a tunnel between the house and Wellesley Hospital to move Lillian while she was sick and dying so the public didn’t see her. Many believe the people who died in the hospital traveled through the tunnel into the house.

The apparition of Lillian is seen throughout the house.

When Lillian’s maid found out about the death she went to the oval vestibule above the main staircase – where the second floor women’s washroom is today – she put a noose around her neck and tied to the wooden staircase before jumping over the edge.

The staff found her hanging in the front foyer.

Most believe her death was due to grief for her mistress. There is, however, a theory that she was involved in an affair with a married member of the Massey Family and somehow Lillian’s death would have revealed the secret.

Employees locking the front door for the night have reported seeing the maid hanging from her noose swinging slowly over the grand staircase. She is only visible for a second out of the corner of their eyes.

The maid is said to haunt the second story women’s bathroom – which is located where she jumped from – where all the stall doors have been reported as unlocking on their own and all the toilets will suddenly flush together. Women and staff also report a strong feeling of being watched in the bathroom.

There are also stories of seeing feet in stalls – stalls that are ultimately are found empty – and one story of the ghost catching a bottle of wine falling off the coat hook in a stall.

A young boy fell down the stairs to his death. His ghost is seen playing on those same stairs.

The phantom sounds of children playing in the upper hallway are heard.

A strong male presence who is not fond of women has been felt in the library.

There are numerous reviews of this restaurant on line that mention the paranormal activity.

Other Reported Activity: apparitions; disembodied voices; light anomalies and unexplained sounds.