This hotel was built in 1911 and has continually functioned as a hotel until modern times except for during the period between 1942-45 when it used as a priory. It is the third oldest hotel in the city; only the Fairmont Empress and the Dominion Hotel were built before it. All 100 rooms face outside and each floor has an open-air balcony with a view of Beacon Hill Park.
When the hotel functioned as a priory run by Mother Cecilia’s religious order it had its most famous guest; Emily Carr a very famous Canadian author and artist. Ms Carr passed away in the building on March 2, 1945 succumbing to a fatal illness.
The ghost of Emily Carr is frequently seen in the hotel especially in the room in which she passed away in which is now the men’s washroom for the pub. Perhaps she is unhappy with the current use of the room in which she spent her final days.
There is also a legend that anyone who criticizes her art is cursed to spend eternity as a ghost in the hotel.
Phones ring in the rooms in the middle of the night. Upon answering it guests find no one on the other end and the front desk has no record of a call being placed to the room.
There are also numerous reports of people feeling as if they being watched and of unease both inside and outside of the building.